To kick-off, National Energy Awareness Month this October, the International Window Film Association (IWFA) offers five top tips to save homeowners money and to help decarbonize the environment by reducing building emissions.
“An energy-efficient building keeps more money in consumer pockets and cuts the carbon released into the environment,” said Darrell Smith, executive director of the IWFA. Smith noted that in California and Florida for example, window film is rated as the most cost-effective energy-efficient retrofit installation.
“Windows offer a wonderful view of seasonal changes and deliver natural daylighting, but they also pose a real challenge for commercial and home energy performance, averaging 30 percent of a building’s energy loss,” he added.
The IWFA’s five top tips to reduce the energy used in a home include:
- Installing programmable thermostats to control the temperatures timed to prevent wasting heat or cooling when no one is in
- Conducting routine maintenance on heating or cooling systems and installing new air filters, burner tune-ups, and annual inspections so heating and cooling units run more efficiently
- Caulking air leaks around windows, doors, skylights, vents, switches, and outlets
- Applying for free energy audits and rebates offered by many utility companies eager to reduce peak energy demand
- Have window film installed to save money on energy costs, balance heating, and cooling demands and almost all harmful UV rays which can damage furnishings and the skin.
Window films are rated and certified for their energy performance by the National Fenestration Rating Council, which also created window certification for consumers. Window films applied in colder climates may provide increased heat retention in the winter months. While in all climates, the sun’s energy that hits glass windows may be rejected by up to 84 percent.
3M™ residential and commercial window film products help reduce fading, reduce glare, improve energy efficiency, provide privacy, and increase safety and security from TriState Sun Control. The superior performance of 3M Prestige Series™ window films provides excellent sun control benefits while barely reducing visible light. Interior workspace and personal privacy can be managed using 3M Fasara™ decorative translucent window film and other decorative and custom-designed film products.